Saturday, August 23, 2008

China's Olympic medal hopeful Zou enters boxing final

China's medal hope and world boxing champion of light flyweight Zou Shiming advanced into the final at the Beijing Olympic Games by beating Paddy Barnes from Ireland 15-0 here on Friday.


Zou Shiming of China poses during Men's light fly semifinal 1 at the Beijing Olympic Games boxing event in Beijing, China, Aug. 22, 2008. Zou Shiming won the match over Paddy Barnes of Ireland.
Zou initiated attacks in the first round and won two points, and then made it at 8-0 in the second round, successfully dodging all the punches by Barnes. Zou performed a perfect defense in the third and fourth rounds, leaving no chance for his rival.

"I am persistent today as I always did," said Zou. "I was close to the Olympic gold four years ago, and this time I will try my best to get it."


Zou Shiming of China fights with Paddy Barnes of Ireland during Men's light fly semifinal 1 at the Beijing Olympic Games boxing event in Beijing, China, Aug. 22, 2008. Zou Shiming won the match.
Zou attributed the overwhelming victory to his strategy on the ring, which Zhang Chuanliang, head coach of the Chinese boxing team, said was defense-attack tactics.

Barnes said after the competition against Zou "he beat me with speed. I thought I was doing well but he's just a great fighter, too fast."

"He tried to get him, tried to hit, tried to block, but he couldn't do anything," said Barners' coach Billy Walsh.

Barnes was in the fifth position in the World Championships last year.

Source: Xinhua

No comments: